One of the best Greek rock groups, Diafana Krina (which means in English: Transparent Lilies), announced their disbanding earlier this week. Formed in 1991, Diafana Krina was a five-piece band consisting of Thanos Anestopoulos (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano), Pantelis Rodostoglou (bass), Nikos Bardis (electric guitar, trumpet), Kyriakos Tsoukalas (electric guitar) and Tassos Machas (drums). The fantastic baritone voice of Anestopoulos, sometimes similar to the voice of Stuart Staples from Tindersticks, was one of their unique characteristics. Also, their lyrics (always in Greek) were really beautiful music poems (mostly written by bassist Rodostoglou) rather than usual lyrics.
They performed in some festivals in Greece together with big names like Tindersticks and Sisters of Mercy. In 2001, they appeared in three concerts in the UK (London at Dingwalls, Manchester at The Roadhouse and Brighton at Concorde 2).
The group’s musical style and lyrics’ themes haven’t changed since their very beginning. Influences from many bands can be detected in their sound, but nonetheless they have created something very special and quite different for the Greek scene.
I wish I could translate their lyrics in English! At least, you can enjoy the music. Really beautiful! Highly recommended!
MySpace (Unofficial fan page)
Official website (Greek)
1. Lionontas Monos - Kato apo to ifaistio (Melding Alone - Under the Volcano) - 1994, Single
This is their first appearance in discography. Unique rock sounds with dark and psychedelic influences are obvious in these 2 songs. It's sold-out and very hard to find.
1. Kato apo to ifaistio (acoustic)
2. Kato apo to ifaistio
3. Lionontas monos
2. Egine i apoleia sinitheia mas (Loss became our habit) - 1996, LP
Their debut full-length album, released in 1996, is one of the most successful albums in Greek rock discography! A combination of influences such as psychedelia, '80s dark sounds, jazz touches and poetic lyrics all together in an amazing record. The first track, probably their most successful song, is based on a poem by Dionisis Kapsalis.
Buy from WipeOut records.
1. Meres Argias
2. I Ginaika Pou Diavaze piimata
3. Clown Tin Tetarti, tin Kiriaki Nekros
4. Rikste Tis Kardies Sas Sta Skilia
5. I Giorti
6. Mizero Fos
7. Opos ta Hiona
9. Egine i apoleia sinitheia mas
10. Aperanti Thlimmeni Antartiki
11. Dipla sou san...Panta
12. Afto to Tragoudi Den Einai Gia Sena
14. Teleftaia Mera
3. Kati Saravales Kardies (Some Wrecked Hearts) - 1998, LP
Their second album is my personal favourite. Epic, sad and romantic! The lyrics on "Valte na pioume" (track 4) is a poem by Kostas Karthaios while "Katarhin" (track 11) is a translation of the poem "Me queda la palabra" by the Spanish poem Blas de Otero.
Buy from WipeOut records.
1. Mple Heimonas
3. Ola afta pou den tha do
4. Valte na pioume
5. Agrio Meli
6. To vlemma sou sakatepse ti moira mou
7. Kiriaki ton vaion
8. Ta Hronia mou na vagisan stin kseres sou
10. Kati saravales kardies
4. Einai pou ola irthan arga (It's because everything came late) - 2000, EP
A short album which features the band's first instrumental track (track 4). The cover is a painting by Anestopoulos. Really good!
1. Zoi san tin dikia mou
2. Einai ola pou irthan arga
3. An to vreis
4. Enas tropos na peis antio
5. Evodiazoun agriokerasa oi siopes (Silence Gives the Odour of Wild Cherries) - 2000, LP
Another excellent album. The lyrics of the last track were taken from a poem of the Greek poet Kostas Ouranis and became a huge success. Read the review by Brett McCallon at Splendid.
1. Mikres Alithies
3. I agapi einai enas skilos ap' tin kolasi
4. Ta glika apelpismaena sou antio
5. To soma afto einai deilo
6. Sto plai sou
7. S' ena oneiro apo hioni
8. Ap' to apeiro se sena
10. Tha pethano ena penthimo tou fthinoporou deili
6. Oti apomeine ap' tin eftihia (What's left of happiness) - 2003, LP
Their fourth full-length album with some really strong moments!
1. Mnimes tou nerou
2. Diafana Krina
3. Dis Julia
4. El hombre solo
5. Skismenos hartaetos
7. Oti apomeine ap' tin eftihia
8. Kathe ti pou anasainei
9. Teleftaio poto me to diavolo
10. Ena meros pou mporeis na krifteis
12. To tragoudi tis Valias kai tou likou
7. O giros tis meras se 80 kosmous (Around the day in 80 worlds) - 2005, Book/LP
This one was a huge surprise! A book with lyrics, poems and thoughts together with an instrumental album! Absolutely brilliant! Once again beautiful artwork by Thanos Anestopoulos.
2. Tha 'thela na 'moun esi
3. I kardia kinigaei monahi
4. Sti rahi tou diavolou
5. Notia tou aniparktou vorra
6. Vrethika se ena polemo
8. Mple Iguana
11. Ena lepto ki einai avrio
8. I agapi pali tha kalei (Love will call again) - 2008, LP
Their last album is not as great as their previous releases, in my opinion, but still a pretty good album! The lyrics of the first track are from a poem by one of the greatest Greek poets Kostas Kariotakis.
Buy from Play Our Music.
1. Ki An Esvise San Iskios
2. Se Mia Gi Pou Anatellei
3. Ki H Agapi Pali tha Kalei
4. Stin Kolasi Vathia
5. Anti Gia Sena
7. Kerna Tous Daimones
8. Me Rotoun Oi Heimones
9. Paraksena Nea Apo Kapoio Allo Astro
10. M' Ena Adeio Potiri
11. Ena Skiahtro Pou Arpakse Fotia
12. Teleftaios Stathmos
Check the comments to listen before you buy!